7.19.2012

Greek Orzo Pasta Salad

I'm a huge fan of Ina's. I think I have mentioned before that I own three of her cookbooks and often turn to her for simple meal ideas that usually don't take too much prep time. I found this recipe for her greek salad, which has rave reviews online, and decided to add orzo and make it a pasta salad. Since I am not an olive fan I left them out, but you can definitely include them if you are an olive lover. This is a great, flavorful side for summer that is colorful and your guests will love. I served this with burgers on the grill over the weekend for my in-laws and received rave reviews. This pasta salad was even better the next day once it sat in the fridge overnight.

Source: Foodnetwork.com

You Will Need For the Salad:
  • 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 red bell pepper, large-diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, large-diced
  • 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced in half-rounds
  • 1/2 pound feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
  • 1 cup orzo, uncooked

You Will Need for the Vinaigrette:
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil

Here We Go:
  • Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl
  • For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl
  • Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion
  • Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables
  • Add the feta and toss lightly
  • Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend
  • While salad is set aside, cook orzo according to package directions
  • Add orzo and toss
  • Serve at room temperature

Serves 6
Happy Feasting!


2 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

colourful salad

Mary Frances said...

I love this salad of Ina's! I make it all the time during the summer (almost always served with chicken souvlaki, now that I think of it).